Such a Horrible Day - Cheating on Exam


I have such a horrible day today. Why is it? I caught one of MY students cheating on MY exam. I have to tell you catching a student cheating on the exam isn't fun, and if the student who got caught is someone you already knew in class, the sad and bad feelings were just mutiplied by 100 times :(.

Catching a student cheating on his or her exam is one of the worst experience in teaching. This is a lose-lose situation. Why? On my part, I will have to go through all the 'cheating' protocol set by the university. It wasted both of my time and efforts and those two things are quite scarce in my life right now. Another bad thing is that I will become an unpopular teacher, not just for the student who gets caught, but for the friends and family of the student as well. How bad can it get...teaching in a class full of students that hate you.

For student's part, the consequences are quite detrimental or even change the course of his or her life. The student will definitely receive an 'F' grade, but more damaging than that he or she will be suspended from the university for a year. The fact that he or she received a suspension or there is a one-year skip from his transcript will raise a lot of eyebrows when the student starts applying for jobs, let alone applying for a high-level education. And I am sure, no one wants a cheater in their company or university.

I realized all the bad things that might occur to my student and I am fully awared of the consequences. This action will affect the student's future...and it will affect in a very negative way.

A lot of people might think that I have no choice but to report the cheating action. But I want to disagree with that. Actually, I have many choices in dealing with this situation. The most obvious and easy one is that I can just let it slip by. I can pretend that nothing happen, re-locate the seating positions, and just ask the student to redo his or her exam again. If I were to do that, this lose-lose situation will not occur. So why I am such an idiot NOT to take such actions.

As I already wrote, I am fully awared of my action and its consequences. I know it will affect the student's future in a very negative way. But, for me, I hope this negative affect will not last very long.

There are many reasons I decided to report the cheating action of my student, let call him 'M'. First and foremost, I really hope that M will learn from this experience that bad judgements will have bad consequences. The consequences might not be instant, but I would like M to learn that sooner or later those bad actions will come back and haunt him. It is just a matter of time. Cutting corners and playing outside the rules are UNACCEPTABLE. Those who violate will suffer the consequences, again the catch to this is...no one knows when. But for M, the answer for the 'when question' is today.

The fact that is hurting my heart so much is that I really like M a lot. I know him in person and he is a nice gentleman though dress poorly in class every now and then. He would like to become a drummer and I am sure he will be a great musician one day. To M, if you are reading this, I would like to tell you that I don't like this to happen as much as you do. But what has to be done has to be done. I respect your bravery that you admitted what you have done. I hope you will endure and อดทนต่าสิ่งที่กำลังจะเกิดขึ้นในอนาคตอันใกล้.
I hope this experience will not let you down in life but rather serve as a bitter-but-good learning lesson to help you grow. I really hope that we can pull out some 'good' thing from this shitty and lose-lose situation even though the 'good' thing will not be seen a decade from now.

Cheer to the Bravery of Two Young Men.

ความคิดเห็น

Pan K. กล่าวว่า
If i was in M position...I will definitely dislike you, but at the same time, feeling thankful for what you have done. and the words you wrote. There are many types of teachers, I was one of ur students in management class, n i believe you are a teacher of great worth.
Puvanai Dardarananda กล่าวว่า
it's every teacher's nightmare but you did the right thing.
Bextor กล่าวว่า
Couldn't truly say i'm a teacher since i only teach in tutoring schools but i guess i know how it feels once u've tried ur best teaching the most of it to them and yet they failed to respect your effort.
Sala-Paopao กล่าวว่า
มันเป็นประสบการณ์ที่แย่ของทั้งนิสิตและอาจารย์เลยนะคะ แต่หนูว่าสิ่งที่อาจารย์ตัดสินใจมันเป็นสิ่งที่ทำให้นิสิตหลายๆคนตระหนักถึงเรื่องบางเรื่องที่ถูกมองว่าเป็นเรื่องเล็กน้อยให้มีความสำคัญมากขึ้นค่ะ ไม่เช่นนั้นหลายๆคนจะเห็นผิดเป็นชอบต่อไป เพราะเรื่องเล็กน้อยเหล่านี้ที่เราเห็นเป็นเรื่องธรรมดานั้น เป็นส่วนหนึ่งของปัญหาบ้านเมืองเราอยู่ทุกวันนี้นะคะ หนูว่า สู้ๆนะคะอาจารย์...เป่า
ไม่ระบุชื่อ กล่าวว่า
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
>>>Winston Churchil
Note กล่าวว่า
Could you ask them to stop cheating on exam?
I think they need someone to remind.

โพสต์ยอดนิยมจากบล็อกนี้

วาทะ Jack Ma สวนมวยสหรัฐ ใน World Economic Forum 2017

เราย้ายเว็บไซต์ไปอยู่ที่ Gowinidea.com แล้วนะครับ

กฎแห่งการหว่าน: Harvesting Law